The Edinburg Historical Society has lost an active and longtime member. Roger loved his summering in Edinburg for a good portion of his life, beginning in the 1940s, when he vacationed at the Palmer place on Pucker Street and continuing after he bought Ross Mack’s house on North Shore Road in 1980. Sitting on the backscreen porch listening to the music of Beecher Creek was his happiest time. He enjoyed sociability with the Lathers, Fred Brownell, Dona and Marshall Robinson in Beecher Hollow and with all of his friends in the Edinburg Historical Society.
Roger held various positions while a member of EHS, staffing the museums, helping with the acquisition and preservation of the Copeland Covered Bridge, co-chairing the Edinburg Walking Tours, chairing the Nominating Committee for many years, and doing physical jobs like sealing the floor of the Rural Museum.
In 2001 Roger invited antique dealers for an end of the year sale at the Rural Museum and that started the Annual Edinburg Fall Festival. Roger donated his 1917 Old Time Canoe for the Hunting, Fishing and Trapping exhibit. With his wife, Kathy they did a layout of the Rural Museum. Both Kathy and Roger were given the Volunteer of the Year Award in 2011 and in 2018 were honored to become Lifetime Trustees.