The November 21, 2017, meeting, “Pie and Reminiscence,” unfortunately has been cancelled. There has been a fire at the Community Center, and the building cannot be used for a few weeks. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
The Edinburg Historical Society will hold its annual Pie and Reminiscence meeting on Tuesday, November 21, 7 p.m. at the Edinburg Community Center on Military Road. A social hour will follow with pie and coffee.
At the October meeting George Blackwood was elected President, Maria Spaeth Vice-President and Andrea Blackwood was elected to fill in George’s unexpired term as Trustee.
Roger Hoff has donated a 1916, 16 foot H. W. Model Canoe now on display at the Rural Museum. The canoe was built by the Old Town Canoe Company. This canoe was built for cruising, carrying heavy loads and for use on large rivers, lakes, large ponds and salt water. Planking and ribs are made from cedar; gunwales and finish rails are of spruce; stems are ash; decks, thwarts and seat are made from of oak, birch or ash; bang plates of polished brass and fastenings throughout are made of brass and copper. When purchased in 1916 it cost $34.00.
New Sign for Copeland Site
The deteriorating sign with the names of shareholders has been removed from the Copeland Site and a new sign will be erected in the spring. A share in the Copeland Covered Bridge was purchased by Linda and Richard Ege. Linda has joined EHS and taken on the job of updating our website. Shares in the bridge help EHS raise funds for maintenance of the Copeland Historic Site. Information on purchasing a share is available on our website.
Fall Festival Update
What a wonderful turnout from the local community who braved the cold to attend the Edinburg Fall Festival. Thanks go to our members and locals who contributed the soups, chili and bake sale treats. Mickey Ballard of Eden Gomora Catering contributed two pots of chicken corn chowder and Jackie Nichols of Shelby’s Four Corner Diner donated a batch of chili. Denise and Joel Ferguson of J & D Percherons gave free horse drawn carriage rides. Alice Frasier donated eight beautiful quilts for the merchandise table. Constance Dodge of Dodge House Lakeside Gallery donated cards with copies of her original paintings of old Edinburg photographs. Thanks to everyone for their participation and donations.
On Tuesday, October 17 at 7:00 p.m the Edinburg Historical Society will hold its monthly meeting at the Edinburg Community Center on Military Road. Dave Davidson, Town of Day Historian, will talk on the town’s history.
Day is a beautiful scenic town bordered by Edinburg, Hadley and Corinth. The Sacandaga enters the town of Day at its southwest corner, and flows in a northeast by east course across it. The Kayadrossera range of mountains are in the southern part of the town, and north of the river there are high hills. There are three small lakes, Mud, Sand, and Livingston. Oak and Bald mountains reach an elevation of nine hundred feet above the river. Rockwell’s mountain, near Day Centre, is a stony elevation of some seven hundred feet, and affords a lovely view up the valley. From the hills back of Huntsville a beautiful view of the valley, the Mayfield Mountains, and the distant Catskills can be seen, and from other hills the Green mountains of Vermont show plainly in clear weather.
Buy a share in the Copeland Covered Bridge to memorialize a loved one. Shares have been purchased by Joey and Maureen Raiola in memory of Rob Selfridge and by Rosemary Miller and Valerie Kaye in memory of their brother John E. Kaczmarczyle who died in 1965 at age 17. A donation was received from Carol J. Fortin to help EHS restore and maintain the bridge. Shares may be purchased for $25 for yourself, as a gift, or in honor of a loved one. A certificate is sent to the recipient and the name is posted at the Copeland Site. Send your request to the Edinburg Historical Society, P.O. Box 801, Edinburg, NY 12134. Forms are available on our website.
The Edinburg Historical Society wanted a barn quilt for the front of the Rural Museum. The Wagon Wheel design was chosen because Barker’s Store was supposedly part of the Underground Railroad. Robert Tyrrell agreed to paint the barn quilt square. Bob Tyrrell, 88, is descended from the Arad Copeland and Anna Trowbridge who built the bridge to get his cows to pasture. His aunt Nellie Tyrrell was a school teacher in Gloversville and became the first Edinburg Town Historian and Curator of the Nellie Tyrrell Museum.
Bob lived in Gloversville all his life and has a camp in Edinburg. He was a carpenter learning the trade from his father Lewis owner of E L Tyrrell & Son in Gloversville. Bob inherited the business and now Bob’s son Tim is continuing in his father and grandfather’s footsteps running the business.
Bob and his wife Betty donated the Copeland Covered Bridge to the Edinburg Historical Society in 1997. The Copeland Covered Bridge is the only queenspost truss bridge in New York State and the only covered bridge in Saratoga County and was placed on the NYS National Register in 1998.
The Wagon Wheel also called the Carpenter’s Wheel was a signal to slaves to pack the items needed to travel by wagon or things needed while traveling. It could also mean to pack the provisions necessary for survival, as in packing a wagon for a long journey, or to actually load the wagon in preparation for escape. Some records indicate this symbol meant a wagon with hidden compartments in which slaves could conceal themselves to soon be embarking for the trip to freedom.
Slaves could not read or write and it was illegal to teach a slave to do so. Codes, therefore, were part of the slaves’ existence and their route to freedom, which eventually became known as the Underground Railroad. Most quilt patterns had their roots in the African traditions the slaves brought with them to North America when they were captured and forced to leave their homeland. There is still controversy among historians and scholars over the quilt code theory and whether slaves actually used codes concealed within quilt patters to follow the escape routes of the Underground Railroad. Oral histories leave no written record but the stories passed down through the generations from the slaves themselves, following the code of secrecy, these stories were never told.
On September 30, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. the Edinburg Historical Society will hold its annual Edinburg Fall Festival at the Nellie Tyrrell and Rural Museums on North Shore Road at the Edinburg Four Corner’s. Coffee, homemade treats, soups and chili will be available.
The bake sale will feature home-made pies, cookies, breads and cakes. If anyone has a special treat they would like to bake for the sale or a pot of soup they can drop it off at the Rural any time after 10 a.m. There will be demonstrations in the Rural Museum and craft vendors. The Nellie Tyrrell Museum has historic photographs and children are encouraged to ring the bell.
The third printing of the DVD “Saving the Dream” with Edinburg photos by John Bennis, narrated by Denise Ferguson and music provided by Robin Gaiser and the Mill Run Dulcimer Band will be available at $15.
Joel and Denise Ferguson of J & D Percherons will have their beautiful black horses providing free horse and wagon rides from 11:00 to 2:00 p.m.
Take a short walk or drive to the Copeland Covered Bridge built in 1879 and the Carriage Factory built before 1828. The Carriage Factory was a water-powered shop owned by the Copeland brothers who were wheelwrights and makers of cabinets, coffins and furniture. The Society is hoping not only to restore the Carriage Factory but also to obtain some of the old tools and machinery. We had over 1,000 visitors to the Copeland Site last year from 29 different states and four different countries.
Buy a raffle ticket for a chance to win one of three buckets filled with items for fishing, feeding birds and flower bulbs with gardening tools. The drawing will be held at the close of the Festival and you do not have to be present to win.
Park and walk across the Batchellerville Bridge, one of the longest steel bridge spans in upstate New York and enjoy the gorgeous view.
* * * * * * * * * *
A short business meeting of the Society will be held on Tuesday, September 19 at 7 p.m. following a 6:00 p. m. Pot Luck Dinner. Bring a dish to share. Stew, casserole, bread, vegetables, baked beans, tossed salad, potato and macaroni salad and desserts are needed.
The Edinburg Historical Society will meet on Tuesday, August 15 at 7 p.m. at the Edinburg Hill Cemetery on Military Road.
Edinburg Historian Priscilla Edwards said the first settlers arrived in Edinburg in the late 1780s and naturally discovered the need for cemeteries even before schools. Some of the earliest burials were established on a family’s own farm while in other instances a landowner would set aside a sandy plot of land for a community cemetery. The landowner would sell off burial plots to his neighbors as needed – making extra money to supplement his income. The first recorded burial in the Edinburg Hill Cemetery was in 1802 Little Alfred Perry, two or three years old, son of James Perry.
Military veterans are scattered throughout our cemeteries. Each cemetery has graves only identified by field stones. You can only guess who these people were and when they died. Field stones were used when families could not afford a regular cemetery marker or if there were no family members left to mark the site.
Following the tour of the Edinburg Hill Cemetery members will congregate at the Edinburg Community Center for a meeting and refreshments.
On Tuesday, July 18, 2017 at 7 p.m. at the Edinburg Community Center, Ben Kemp will present a program on Civil War Veterans. Ben is a staff member, tour guide and reenactor at Grant’s Cottage State Historic Site in Wilton, NY, where Ulysses S Grant died in July 1885. Ben is a graduate of State University of New York College of Oneonta. Refreshments will follow the meeting.