The Society was involved with major restoration of the Copeland Covered Bridge over three years.
Situated in the historic Beecher’s Creek community that dates back to the late 18th century, the bridge was built in 1879 by Arad Copeland so his livestock could reach the pastures on the other side of Beecher’s Creek. The bridge is 35′ long and is New York State’s only Queenpost Truss Bridge structure. Not only is it one of the few privately owned covered bridges in New York State, it is the only remaining covered bridge in Saratoga County. And thanks to the New York State Covered Bridge Society, the Copeland Bridge is on the State and National Registers of Historic Sites.
With only minimal repairs over the years, the bridge stayed in the Copeland family until 1997 when great, great grandson Robert Tyrrell and his wife Betty deeded the Bridge over to the Society—thereby guaranteeing its preservation.
Through extensive local fundraising efforts and grants from NYS in partnership with the Town of Edinburg, repairs to the Copeland Covered Bridge are now complete. Site improvements and landscaping plans were finished in the spring of 2002. The bridge is now on the National Register of Historic Sites.
Come by and see the wonderful results of all our efforts and your generous assistance!
Click Here for history of the Copeland Covered Bridge.