The Edinburg Historical Society is a volunteer community organization dedicated to serving all who have an interest in history, in particular, the local history of the Town of Edinburg, New York. The Town of Edinburg is located in the northwest corner of Saratoga County on the Great Sacandaga Lake, which lies at the southern boundary of the Adirondack Park.
To visit Town of Edinburg web site, click here.
The Society has established and maintained collections of artifacts and items of historical interest to the community of Edinburg and the surrounding area. The collections consist primarily of donated items and are housed in two museums – The Nellie Tyrrell Edinburgh Museum and The Rural Museum. The buildings are owned and maintained by the Town of Edinburg. The society also owns and maintains the Copeland Historic Site comprising the Copeland Covered Bridge and the adjoining Copeland Carriage Shop.
Monthly Society meetings are held where programs of historic or community interest are presented to members and the community. Various fundraising activities are held to obtain financial support to maintain museum collections and for restoration projects.
Society membership averages 75 members from a town with a population of 1384. Members include native, local, and seasonal individuals, families, and businesses. Membership in the Society is not required to participate in meetings, programs, and events.
The Society is considered an educational organization chartered by the Board of Regents under Education Law. Conducted by the Town Historian, tours of the museums are offered to local schools and organizations as requested. An absolute Charter was granted on January 11, 2005.