History of the Town of Day

4266558On Tuesday, October 17 at 7:00 p.m the Edinburg Historical Society will hold its monthly meeting at the Edinburg Community Center on Military Road. Dave Davidson, Town of Day Historian, will talk on the town’s history.

Day is a beautiful scenic town bordered by Edinburg, Hadley and Corinth. The Sacandaga enters the town of Day at its southwest corner, and flows in a northeast by east course across it. The Kayadrossera range of mountains are in the southern part of the town, and north of the river there are high hills. There are three small lakes, Mud, Sand, and Livingston. Oak and Bald mountains reach an elevation of nine hundred feet above the river. Rockwell’s mountain, near Day Centre, is a stony elevation of some seven hundred feet, and affords a lovely view up the valley. From the hills back of Huntsville a beautiful view of the valley, the Mayfield Mountains, and the distant Catskills can be seen, and from other hills the Green mountains of Vermont show plainly in clear weather.

copeland-covered-bridge-edinburg-ny-ray-summers-photographyBuy a share in the Copeland Covered Bridge to memorialize a loved one. Shares have been purchased by Joey and Maureen Raiola in memory of Rob Selfridge and by Rosemary Miller and Valerie Kaye in memory of their brother John E. Kaczmarczyle who died in 1965 at age 17. A donation was received from Carol J. Fortin to help EHS restore and maintain the bridge. Shares may be purchased for $25 for yourself, as a gift, or in honor of a loved one. A certificate is sent to the recipient and the name is posted at the Copeland Site. Send your request to the Edinburg Historical Society, P.O. Box 801, Edinburg, NY 12134. Forms are available on our website.

 

Edinburg Fall Festival – September 30

Fall2 On September 30, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. the Edinburg Historical Society will hold its annual Edinburg Fall Festival at the Nellie Tyrrell and Rural Museums on North Shore Road at the Edinburg Four Corner’s. Coffee, homemade treats, soups and chili will be available.

The bake sale will feature home-made pies, cookies, breads and cakes. If anyone has a special treat they would like to bake for the sale or a pot of soup they can drop it off at the Rural any time after 10 a.m. There will be demonstrations in the Rural Museum and craft vendors. The Nellie Tyrrell Museum has historic photographs and children are encouraged to ring the bell.

The third printing of the DVD “Saving the Dream” with Edinburg photos by John Bennis, narrated by Denise Ferguson and music provided by Robin Gaiser and the Mill Run Dulcimer Band will be available at $15.

Joel and Denise Ferguson of J & D Percherons will have their beautiful black horses providing free horse and wagon rides from 11:00 to 2:00 p.m.

Take a short walk or drive to the Copeland Covered Bridge built in 1879 and the Carriage Factory built before 1828. The Carriage Factory was a water-powered shop owned by the Copeland brothers who were wheelwrights and makers of cabinets, coffins and furniture. The Society is hoping not only to restore the Carriage Factory but also to obtain some of the old tools and machinery. We had over 1,000 visitors to the Copeland Site last year from 29 different states and four different countries.

Buy a raffle ticket for a chance to win one of three buckets filled with items for fishing, feeding birds and flower bulbs with gardening tools. The drawing will be held at the close of the Festival and you do not have to be present to win.

Park and walk across the Batchellerville Bridge, one of the longest steel bridge spans in upstate New York and enjoy the gorgeous view.

 * * * * * * * * * *

A short business meeting of the Society will be held on Tuesday, September 19 at 7 p.m. following a 6:00 p. m. Pot Luck Dinner. Bring a dish to share. Stew, casserole, bread, vegetables, baked beans, tossed salad, potato and macaroni salad and desserts are needed.

August 15, 2017: Edinburg Hill Cemetery trip

The Edinburg Historical Society will meet on Tuesday, August 15 at 7 p.m. at the Edinburg Hill Cemetery on Military Road.

Edinburg Historian Priscilla Edwards said the first settlers arrived in Edinburg in the late 1780s and naturally discovered the need for cemeteries even before schools. Some of the earliest burials were established on a family’s own farm while in other instances a landowner would set aside a sandy plot of land for a community cemetery. The landowner would sell off burial plots to his neighbors as needed – making extra money to supplement his income. The first recorded burial in the Edinburg Hill Cemetery was in 1802 Little Alfred Perry, two or three years old, son of James Perry.

Military veterans are scattered throughout our cemeteries. Each cemetery has graves only identified by field stones. You can only guess who these people were and when they died. Field stones were used when families could not afford a regular cemetery marker or if there were no family members left to mark the site.

Following the tour of the Edinburg Hill Cemetery members will congregate at the Edinburg Community Center for a meeting and refreshments.

July 15, 2017: Historic “Edinburgh” Day

History comes alive this weekend as the Edinburg Historical Society celebrates its 26th annual Historic “Edinburgh” Day on Saturday, July 15 from 10 am to 3 p.m. rain or shine.

The town is expected to be bustling with locals and visitors experiencing local history. The event will take place at the Nellie Tyrrell and Rural Museums on North Shore Road.

 

The Rural Museum will serve as the location for free horse drawn wagon rides, live demonstrations, a bake sale, food items, artisans, local crafters and caricatures by Phil Singer. The museum hosts exhibits of early logging, maple sugaring and woodworking along with an example of a Victorian-style parlor and country kitchen. Town of Edinburg Historian, Priscilla Edwards will be on hand to answer any questions.

Just up the road, the Nellie Tyrrell Museum — formerly the one-room Beecher Hollow School — will be open with exhibits of its early school room, early life in Batchellerville. Archival documents such as photographs, maps, drawings, books, articles, pictures, paintings and public and personal records can be seen as well.

Among Edinburg’s other historic treasurers is the Copeland Covered Bridge which is on the National and State Registers of Historic Sites and includes the Copeland Carriage Shop that sits adjacent. Many historic buildings and sites can be seen and researched in Edinburg.

Three drawings will be held for three buckets – fishing, bird feeding, and flower bulb buckets. Raffle tickets will be sold at the festival for $1 per chance or $5 for six chances. The drawing will be held at the Edinburg Fall Festival on Saturday, September 30. Proceeds from the festival and raffle enable the Society to preserve Edinburg’s history, traditions, photographs, papers and maintain displays at our Rural and Nellie Tyrrell Museums.

The Edinburg United Methodist Church is having a white elephant sale. The fire trucks will be out at the Edinburg Volunteer Fire Department and items will be on display for their silent auction. The Sacandaga Seniors are selling hot dogs. The Edinburg Emergency Squad will have a blood pressure clinic. A car show at the Edinburg Four Corners will feature antique and custom hot rods, cars and trucks.

Historic “Edinburgh” Day will coincide with the Northville Rotary’s annual Woodworking and Fine Arts Festival Weekend featuring more than 50 accomplished artists on Main Street in the Village of Northville.

The Historic “Edinburgh” Day Festival is just 4 miles from Northville near the Edinburg Four Corners.

September 17, 2016: Edinburg Fall Festival

On Saturday, September 17th, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., the Edinburg Historical Society will hold its annual Edinburg Fall Festival at the Nellie Tyrrell and Rural Museums on North Shore Road near the Edinburg Four Corners. Coffee, homemade treats, soups and chili will be available.

The bake sale will feature home-made pies, cookies, breads and cakes. There will be demonstrations in the Rural Museum and craft vendors. The Nellie Tyrrell Museum has historic photographs and children are encouraged to ring the bell.

jd-percherons-at-2015-edinburg-fall-festivalJoel and Denise Ferguson of J & D Percherons will have their beautiful black horses providing free horse and wagon rides from 10:00am to 12:00 p.m.

Singer and acoustical guitarist Jessie Jensen will perform.

Take a short walk or drive to the Copeland Covered Bridge built in 1879 and the Carriage Factory built before 1828. The Carriage Factory was a water-powered shop owned by the Copeland brothers who were wheelwrights and makers of cabinets, coffins and furniture. The Society is hoping not only to restore the Carriage Factory but also to obtain some of the old tools and machinery. We had over 1,000 visitors to the Copeland Site last year from twenty-nine different states and four different countries.

Visit the historic Barker’s Store where in 1995 a hidden room was discovered and is now determined to be a stop on the Underground Railroad.

Buy a raffle ticket for a chance to win one of five original oil painting by Edinburg resident, Andy Janik. Andy is a member of SVAN and has exhibited work at the SVAN Arts Center Gallery in Northville, the Northville High School and more recently in the Micropolis Cooperative Art Gallery in Gloversville. The drawing will be held at the close of the Festival and you do not have to be present to win.

Park and walk across the Batchellerville Bridge, one of the longest steel bridge spans in upstate New York and enjoy the gorgeous view.

* * * * * * * * * *

A short business meeting of the Society will be held on Tuesday, September 20 following a 6:00 p.m. Pot Luck Dinner. Bring a dish to share. Stew, casserole, bread, vegetables, baked beans, tossed salad, potato and macaroni salad and desserts are possibilities.

July 16, 2016: Historic “Edinburgh” Day

The 25th annual “Historic Edinburgh Day” a community-wide festival will be held Saturday, July 16, from 9:00 a.m. to 3 p.m. rain or shine. The festival will be held at the site of the Edinburg Rural and Nellie Tyrrell Museums on County Highway 4 (North Shore Road) in Edinburg. Both museums will be open for this event and visitors can view the many displays and artifacts of historic interest pertaining to Edinburg and the surrounding area. The event includes a bake sale and craft vendors.

The Rural Museum features an old time general store, carpentry shop, antique barn loom, farmhouse kitchen, parlor and maple sugaring display. Participants will demonstrate spinning and weaving. The Nellie Tyrrell Museum is one of Edinburg’s oldest schoolhouses and features documents, photos and many other artifacts of historic interest.

Raffle tickets will be sold for five original oil paintings generously donated by Andy Janik an Edinburg resident. The paintings are framed and ready to be hung. Five drawings will be held and raffle tickets will be sold at the festival for $1 per chance or $5 for six chances. The drawing will be held at the Edinburg Fall Festival on Saturday, September 17. Proceeds from the festival and raffle enable the Society to preserve Edinburg’s history, traditions, photographs, papers and maintain displays at our Rural and Nellie Tyrrell Museums.

The Edinburg United Methodist Church (1836) is having a white elephant sale. The fire trucks will be out at the Edinburg Volunteer Fire Department and items will be on displayed for their silent auction. The Sacandaga Seniors are selling hot dogs. A car show at the Edinburg Four Corners will feature antique and custom hot rods, cars and trucks. The Edinburg Emergency Squad will have a blood pressure clinic.

There will be free horse and wagon rides by J & D Pencherons from 11:00 a.m. to 2 p.m. Visit the Copeland Covered Bridge which is 35 feet long and is the only NYS queen post truss bridge in Saratoga County. Park and take a walk to enjoy the view as you cross the Great Sacandaga Lake on the Batchellerville Bridge, one of the longest steel bridge spans in upstate New York.

The Northville Rotary Club is having their Woodworking and Fine Arts Weekend just 4 miles away at the Northville Town Hall and Park on South Main Street from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday and 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Sunday.

On Tuesday, July 19 at 7 p.m. the regular monthly meeting of the Edinburg Historical Society will feature “House Stories” by members of the Society. Meetings are free and open to the public. Membership is a bargain at $5 per person a year.

All meetings and programs are free and open to the public. Contact Maria Spaeth, president for further information at thespaeths@ymail.com or 863-7063.

September 19, 2015 — Edinburg Fall Festival

On September 19, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. the Edinburg Historical Society will hold its annual Edinburg Fall Festival at the Nellie Tyrrell and Rural Museum at 11 North Shore Road at the Edinburg Four Corners. Tour the museums and join in the fall family fun. Edinburg is just 55 miles from Albany, 15 miles from Lake George, and 22 miles from Saratoga.

Park and walk across the Batchellerville Bridge, one of the longest steel bridge spans in upstate New York and enjoy the gorgeous view of autumn colors.

Seasonal fall treats of cider, donuts, homemade soups, and chili will be served. Treasures will be sold at the White Elephant Booth, and you can purchase home-made pies, cookies and cakes at the bake sale. There will be demonstrations in the Rural Museum of old time crafts. Buy a raffle ticket for a chance to win a piece of furniture made by Rusty Gleaves of Hope Falls, second drawing will be a framed photograph by Norma Porteus, and the third drawing will be a handmade afghan by Andrea Blackwood.

There will be artists and crafters and a Farmer’s market. Kids get to paint a pumpkin.

Joel and Denise Ferguson will have their Percheron horses providing free horse and wagon rides.

Take a short walk or ride to visit the Copeland Covered Bridge built in 1879 and the Carriage House built before 1828 and used as a water-powered shop for the Copeland brothers who were wheelwrights and makers of cabinets, coffins and furniture.

Contact Maria Spaeth, president for further information at thespaeths@ymail.com or 863-7063.